I think that the advantage of using SCSI drives is not only in the transfer speed, which as you say is equal to one of your newer IDE drives, but IDE uses more CPU DMA to run than using SCSI which frees the CPU up from managing the data transfer. I don't know all the details as I am not a technical guy (not too much anyway), but when faced with limited CPU power, SCSI drives will always be better than IDE from what I have read in the past.

This will speed up your G4 PowerMac, as it will have more CPU resources to work on other tasks, instead of using a chunk of it's power to transfer data over the IDE bus.

I have several ATTO fibre optic controller cards pulled from Avid Meridian audio/video editing MDD G4 systems, if anyone is interested in getting one. I think the max transfer speed for them is faster than your 80MB/s, but then you need a hard drive or adapter that converts drives to fibre optic, which I am unfamiliar with, as the editing systems did not come with the storage drives that the fibre optic cards connected to.

Not sure how you are going to test the speed improvement you can get from using SCSI drives instead of IDE, when both drives are transferring data at the same speed, but as I said above, your G4(s) should have much more resources available when using SCSI than IDE.