On Nov 21, 10:08 pm, glen <glenst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

this IS the first time i've needed to send a fax in years, which is
why i never bothered to upgrade after i stopped using the PCI mac
running OS9 as my daily office work computer.  but the wife applied
for a job at the USPO, and we needed to send a signed consent form for
a background check via fax.  as several respondents have noted, fax is
STILL the only accepted form in certain circumstances where fraud is
an issue.

as for booting in OS9 and reinstalling the original FAX software from
the BD disc, that seemed like a big pain for one fax.  and if i'm
gonna bother doing all that, i'd just as soon find a way to get it
working in OSX, for the next time i need to send a fax.

this QS does not have the internal modem.  however, i shouldn't NEED
an internal modem with the 56USBMAC.  it does not connect to the
computer via a modem port, it IS a modem, and connects via USB port.
i did download the free FAXstf for OSX from the smithmicro website,
and installed it.  but it is not able to see the modem plugged into
the USB port.  i tried a USB 2.0 port on a PCI/USB card (NEC chipset),
and i also tried plugging the modem into the native USB port on the QS
with the same result.  both the FAXstf software and the print/fax
setup utility were not able to locate the 56USBMAC modem.

since the DSL modem requires all the phone lines in the house to be
filtered, i'm wondering if that could have something to do with it,
tho i don't see why that would be the cause for the modem to be
invisible to the fax software or the fax/print utility.  if it was
related to the filter, i would think the computer would still see the
modem but the modem would not be able to get a dialtone.

so i'm thinking the 56USBMAC should work, and the problem is something
i'm doing wrong.  is there something obvious i'm overlooking?