I recently acquired a Cube, tower & 2 monitors  through a freebee day at
one of the Mac forums I frequent. Free except for fairly hefty shipping.

Everything powers up but only to the point of the dreaded flashing '?'.
Does this indicate a need for install of a fresh OS or perhaps HD problems?

PS: the grandson (16) is intent on learning Macs from the ground up and
this acquisition was with that intent, but need to get him launched to make
that available. Sorry if this is too wordy.