On Dec 23, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Baldassare Guzzo wrote:

> Do you like Sophos too?  Think I read here on the list that Sophos was pretty
> good for us.  Is clamxav better?

Sophos was good, years ago, but they haven't kept up. The Windows version is at
9.something and is now called Sophos "Endpoint and Security Control", and
offers much better protection against web-based malware than the old 7.x
version, which is the latest they offer for the Mac. Definitions for the Mac
version have ben updated, of course, but it's still an obsolete product.

For example you cannot scan removable drives or specific folders, only mounted
internal volumes.

For most people this isn't a big hassle, and for them Sophos does still work
pretty unobtrusively (save for the odd occasion when they mark something
essential as a virus, like the time they accidentally released a definitions
update that caused them to quarantine and delete the Microsoft Application
Support directory. We still refer to that as "The day that Office died")

but for my purposes, when someone brings in a weird USB stick, I'd like to be
able to scan it quickly. This also prevents me from attaching infected PC
drives via USB and disinfecting them.

ClamXAv, on the other hand, has improved by leaps and bounds, and the
underlying clamav infrastructure is robust, we use it to scan our email on the
server, tens of thousands of emails daily.

I've been quite happy using ClamXAv on the UA systems (which by official policy
MUST have AV software running on them, which is akin to requiring all employees
to get a pap smear and prostate exam every year, no exceptions...;-) but my
personal systems?

Haven't run any antivirus software on them in decades. Last virus I ever got on
a mac was WDEF.

There was a simple fix for that one: Upgrade to 7. Not 10.7...to System 7, that
fancy-dancy cool new version of the OS that broke so many programs and had
awesome new features like TrueType fonts, file sharing and aliases.

The only thing you really HAVE to do to pretty much bulletproof a Mac running
OS X is to go into Safari's preferences and uncheck that stupid "Open 'safe'
content after downloading" checkbox. That's really the only blatantly open hole
in the system that doesn't reside atop the user's shoulders...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona