On Jan 4, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Tom wrote:

> In short, we're right back where we started, no matter what we do.
>
> Is there anything else we might try, or should we just be resigned to
> the fact that one of our four Macs just doesn't want to play with the
> other three?

No you shouldn't be resigned.  I have been running a LAN behind a NAT router
for at least 14 years and have had upwards of 50 computers connected to the
network at one time or another.  None of them (ultimately) didn't see all the
other computers on the network.

Can you post the Ethernet settings for the problematic computer and one or two
of the other computers?

Specifically:
In System Preferences
        Network Pane
                Airport or Ethernet (which ever is in use)
                        Advanced...
                                TCP/IP
                                        All the IPv4 settings
                                                Configure IPv4: