At 9:42 PM -0800 2/6/2012, Mel wrote:
I would like to recover seven files/folders that were on the desk top of a HD that will no longer mount after bootup.
[snip]
The HD is an internal slave HD in a PowerPC 400 MHz G4 Mac desktop with 768 SDRAM and OS 10.4.11 installed. The HD has more htan 22,000 hours on it.

Disk Utility checked that HD but could not repair it. "Disk Utility" displayed the error message: "exceded maxmium B tree depth," which is apparently a directory problem. That is an error beyond the capability of "Disk Utility" to repair.

Yea.  Fsck, the unix tool underneath Disk Utility, is a bit simple minded.

If I can get that HD to mount, and if those seven files/folders are readable, I can then copy them from the desk top to one or more other HD's so that I have a back up and some peace of mind..

I have Disk Warrior bought October 20, 2011 from Alsoft.

Before I use Disk Warrior, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Disk Warrior is a great utility. It works by rebuilding the file system from the ground up, instead of trying to repair it in place.

First, try mounting the volume read-only. That might be enough to get those files off it. If that fails, then run Disk Warrior.

Here are the directions to do the mount:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23941

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.