----- Original Message -----

>     A similar sort of thing happened to me years ago but in my case it was
> caused by the extended desktop prefs. My mac thought I had two monitors
> connected and booted to the plain blue screen of the second display - the
> menus etc were on an imaginary monitor off stage left. It was caused in my
> case by a flashed video card which had vga and dvi but no vga through the
> dvi port and the mac presumed the dvi to be the primary display - but I had
> no dvi monitor at that time so I was stuck with the vga secondary screen and
> what became quite a problem - how to open, grab and drag system prefs from a
> monitor I couldn't see to the one I could and turn on mirroring. Probably
> not your problem but is the MDD set to the same primary video port as the QS
> was?

Humm, that could be the problem. The QuickSliver monitor was attached to the
VGA port. The MDD has no VGA port and that same monitor was attached to the
MDD DVI port. The monitor is an old Dell with both VGA and DVI ports.

Definitely something to play with after work. If that fails a reinstall of
10.4.11 as suggested may be the way to go.

Thanks --glen