On Mar 19, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

It sounds as though your spotlight indexes are corrupt.
Turning off Spotlight can be done, but then it disables the Finder's Find command as well.

 I wouldn;t think I'd WANT to disable SPOTLIGHT if it can work right.

As Dan mentioned, there;s been numerous discussions of Spotlight in this list, peruse the archives.

Excellent, I haven;t looked before, could you point me there?

I've found that the main thing with Spotlight index rebuilding is to leave the computer completely alone while it does this; start the rebuild before you go to bed and let it run overnight. This results in a clean rebuild of the index and metadata database, so that it's less likely to get in your way while you're using the system.

'rebuild spotlight' ... is this in the archives, or is it something I can just ask the system to do under UTILITIES or somesuch?

thanks again
jv