A couple of years ago I was rendering a small HD video on my Macbook
Pro. Out of curiosity I tried it on a MDD sporting dual 1.33 mhz
processors with 2 mb cache 2gb RAM and a large SATA hard drive. Under
OSX it's was faster than any Powerbook ever made. The MBP and MDD ran
the same OS and software. On the old MBP it took just under 2 hours
but on the G4 it took over 48 hours. I'll bet my currant MBP would do
it under an hour. I likely still have the file in my backup. Maybe
I'll try it on the new quad core MBP my friend got last week. See if
her's will do it in under half an hour.

I'd be saddened  if Apple dropped the Mac Pro but wouldn't be
surprised. I likely know more than a hundred people with MBPs but
maybe 2 with Mac Pros and those aren't new ones