At 11:43 AM -0700 6/16/2012, Anand wrote:
G5 and I am wondering what is the best way to back it up on an external firewire 800 hard drive.

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is the fav of many of us, and free.
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

SuperDuper! is also good, but $.
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

The above two apps will create *reliable* *bootable* clones of your HDs.