At 5:39 PM +0000 7/16/2012, James Morgan wrote:
I have a 4 X 2.5 GHz (quad) PowerPC G5 with 8 GB Ram. For a long time I ran OS 10.4 but just recently completed upgrading to OS 10.5.8. Since completing this upgrade I now get deadpan messages saying "you need to restart your computer.
[snip]
Who is sending this really frustrating message that I must now hold down the power button and restart?

As pointed out - you're experiencing a kernel panic.

Your next step is to take a look at the system and panic logs. Therein you will find all sorts of nice error messages ... and in the panic log especially, hopefully something that will point to the exact problem.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.