----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Display Resolutions/Freq., MDD, R9000, Leopard
Date:    Wednesday, 01. August 2012
From:    "t...@prismnet.com" <t...@prismnet.com>
To:      "G-Group" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
> Andreas,  thank you for the excellently detailed and informative
> reply.   I won't have a chance to try it out before the weekend, but I
> wanted to post my thanks before the thread gets too stale.

You’re welcome! Please report back, if it worked and what worked.

I did some testing on my Power Mac G4 Cube, and apperently the boot-args
variable stored in NVRAM doesn’t do the trick. It ignores the "Graphics Mode"
setting with Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. At least on my Mac.

My guess is that it will propably work if you boot in safe mode. This will
also clear the boot cashes and recreate them, which may have caused this
issue.

You can boot in safe mode by holding the Shift key. Other useful keys can be
found here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Maybe you want to try verbose mode too…

If safe mode doesn’t work, try resetting your PRAM (hold Cmd+Opt+P+R right
after the chime, until you hear the chime for the third time, then release the
keys and start holding the Opt key for the boot selection, then the shift key
for safe boot of Leopard).

If this doesn’t work either, I’d use the com.apple.Boot.plist method. BUT BE
CAREFUL and make a backup first, so you can restore it from your Tiger
installation should anything go wrong.

Good luck!
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250

_CORRECTIONS_
> …, even if you enter Open Firmware (by holding
> Opt+Alt+O+F).
   ^^^^^^^^
Should be: Opt+Cmd+O+F
1. Opt (Option key) is on newer keyboards also “Alt”
2. Cmd (Command key) is also the Windows key, should you a PC keyboard…

> Do this from you
> woring Tiger installation:
   ^^^^
should read “working”…

_ADDITIONS_
> The display is connected via VGA through a DVI to VGA adapter.
The adapter is also a possible source for this failure, although very *very*
unlikely…

> "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"
You can also try 1280x1024x16@60:
The Format is:
[x-Resolution in pixels] x
[y-Resolution in pixels] x
[Color depth in bit] @
[Refresh rate in Hz]

Thus, 1280x1024, 32-Bit color (16,7 Billion colors), 60 Hz is 1280x1024x32@60.
You can, however, play with different values, like the Color depth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

8-Bit: 256 colors
15/16-Bit: 65536 colors: “High color”
24-Bit: 16,777,216 colors: “True color”—most environments use 32-Bit though,
because 1) if fits better in two 16 bit registers and 2) it adds an 8-Bit alpha
channel (for transparency).

Additionally, you may also choose to try something like 1280x1024x32@75, to
set a 75 Hz refresh rate; your monitor should support these well:
(CAUTION: but your graphics card may not! Give it a try anyway…)
1280x1024x32@60
1280x1024x32@72
1280x1024x32@75
1280x1024x32@76

> 2nd Method: Firmware
(NOT WORKING)
IF you’re interested, this is how to set boot-args in Open Firmware (by
holding Opt+Cmd+O+F right after the chime):

The following will show all NVRAM variables:

        printenv

To set the variable boot-args to whatever you want, use:

        setenv boot-args "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"
(doesn’t work)
        setenv boot-args -v -x
(will give verbose and safe mode, BUT it is better to hold the Shift key for
safe mode and Cmd-V for verbose, should you really need it ONCE. See
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 for usable modes.)

Then boot Mac OS by typing:

        mac-boot

My resources:
If you’re interested more about Open Firmware commands (quite advanced stuff):
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_boot.html

Or, even more advanced (from Apple, for developers):
http://web.archive.org/web/20081226025208/http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20081226025213/http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html

Also of interest, but not very helpful for this specific issue:
http://ganswijk.home.xs4all.nl/chipdir/oth/fcode.txt