On Aug 27, 2012, at 7:29 PM, smac0031 wrote:

> None of this worked. The drive wouldn't open. I tried a paper clip and
> that wouldn't work. I tried rebooting the machine and that didn't
> help. I gave up and shut the machine down and pried the drive open.
>
> The CD was in chunks. It literally exploded in the the drive. I have
> probably 40% of it out of the drive in six pieces.
>
> I've never heard of this happening. I loved that game. This sucks.
>
> Now I don't have any excuses to switch over to my G5, no even lame
> ones.

You should check out the Myth Busters episode about exploding optical drives.
It was one of their first episodes.  Short story is that with normal discs no
drive they tried could destroy a disc.  I think they did have some failure
after abusing the discs (Microwaving was one method).  They finally got a
normal disc to fail by mounting it on a die grinder and, IIRC, running the die
grinder off of 220V, twice it's rated voltage.