On Sep 5, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Dan wrote:

> OS X 10.5.8 on my QuickSilver (Power Mac G4)...
>
> It's funny... over the years, I've installed Leopard and Snow Leopard and
> Lion on quite a few machines.  Even supported them, as far as pushing updated
> apps, answering questions, fixing problems, and whatnot.  But I've never
> bothered to really use Leopard on a day to day basis.  My real machine has
> been running Tiger all this time!
>
> Ok, so now I'm on Leo and I'm running into a few oddities...
>
> - Finder lags badly.   wtf!  If an app updates a file in an open folder (eg
> The Unarchiver), Finder doesn't show the update or the new file until you
> forcibly refresh it by closing and re-opening the folder's window?  I found
> an applet called "Refresh Finder" that helps, but it's not perfect.  Is there
> a real solution to this, to make Finder refresh the open windows more
> quickly?  Why does such a horrible .0 type bug still exist in a OS .8
> release?!

On networked volumes this is really bad, but if this is happening locally, I'd
suggest an applejack cleansing, and a check to make sure you didn't bring
something bad over from 10.4.

> - Folders ignore their view settings, sometimes.  Very odd. Sometimes when I
> open a folder, it displays incorrectly.  Icons instead of a list view or vice
> versa.  Or it's positioned in the middle of the screen instead of the left,
> where I'd put it.  Or it's got the sidebar instead of the tighter view.  If I
> close the bad window and reopen it, it always opens correctly.  Is there a
> way to make Finder get it right in the first place?  ...Thinking about doing
> a global rm of all .DS_Store files.  Not sure if that will really help tho.

Since this is where Finder stores this info, deleting all the .DS_Store files
will fix it. This may be related to the above finder issue as well; wonder if
something's borked on your disk.

> - Finder's contextual menu.  Is there a way to edit this thing?  Bugs me to
> have to dig thru the "More" submenu all the time to get to GraphicConverter's
> functions.  I want the things I do often to be the easiest to select, at the
> top of the menu.  Not burried down yet-another layer of submenu!

Ugh, cannot remember, I do remember yyou have to go to the System Settings in
10,.6 to add things that should be there, maybe that was in 10.5, too.

> - iTunes 10.6.3.  sigh.  Yet-another iTunes generation that's slower than the
> previous.  The new annoyance is that when it looses my fav streaming radio
> station, and has to rebuffer it -- the app comes to the front (unhides)!  It,
> of course, grabs whatever text I'm typing and throws it away.  Is there a way
> to make iTunes stay hidden?

All of these things (other than the contextual menu thing) sound as though your
machine's getting eaten up CPU or I/O wise by something...is this with a
completely fresh account and a nuke and pave of the disk? Remember to let
mdutil do it's thing, too, first time around.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona