Sent from an iPhone, don't ask whose.

On Oct 1, 2012, at 2:11 AM, Valter Prahlad <valter.prah...@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> Il giorno 30-09-2012 19:06, Dan ha scritto:
>
>>> I was astonished to discover it sucks 17 Watts when off! :-o
> Correction: on a second, more accurate measurement, my G5 seems to draw 9
> Watts when off (instead of 17 - I'm using a cheap power meter, kind of a
> "Kill-a-watt", and they are often inaccurate at low power consumption).

Are you sure you were reading Watts and not VA?  The are not the same. Using
either the Kill-a-watt VA setting or multiplying the volts times the amps
results in Volt-Amps (VA).

> Actually, it's not.
> I got a measurement-mania :-D and measured everything in my home.
> Any IT equipment seem to draw some power when off:
> - I tested 4 Windows PCs: they draw from 4 to 7 Watts when off. Some of them
> still draw 1 or 2 Watts even when the (hard) switch is off! :-o
> - My 21" Sony CRT monitor draws between 10 and 21 Watts when off;
> ironically, it draws the very same when it's in stand-by.
> - My 15" Neovo LCD monitor draws 2 Watts when off.

It is normal for an input filter to draw some VA when a hard power switch is
off. But you don't pay for VA only watts.

> It looks like electronic engineers have a different meaning for the word
> "off" than normal people. ;-)

No, but we do know about the reality of electronic components.