The setup that I tried originally was an 80G drive partitioned into 7G and
83G on the external FW device. Since the internal ATA drive is only 6G,
this allowed me to backup the internal ATA drive completely to that first
partition.  My intent was that I would also be able to use this external 7G
partition as a complete backup for the internal ATA drive.  Since the beige
G3 won't boot from FW, then I need to reconsider.

So I guess it'll be a SCSI-1 device (how can I tell from the ebay listings)
or install a second ATA drive into the beige.  Fortunately the beige
desktop has the later ROM which allows for a slave device on the cable.  I
was just hoping not to add any more power usage strain on that feeble old
150W internal power supply.

Only remaining question, then,  is how to tell if a hard drive or HD
enclosure is compatible with the beige port?  What spec do I need to ask
about before I purchase?  It looks like there's quite a variety of SCSI
interfaces and protocols out there to my uneducated eye, at least.

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:17:50 AM UTC-8, billycarmacs wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Click wrote:
>
> > Tnx, Kris.  That's what I was beginning to think.  Seems a little odd
> given the internal ATA drive(s) boot setup. So I need to look for a SCSI
> interface external drive.  What version of SCSI would work on the beige G3
> built-in port-only v1?  Does it matter what type of drive interface is on
> the inside of the SCSI external enclosure?  In other words if I could find
> an ATA or eSATA drive that worked in a SCSI enclosure, do you have any idea
> if that would work?
> >
> > My particular need is to have a backup drive to native boot into OS 9 to
> continue using some critical apps that were dropped by the vendor when OS X
> came about.  Classic on my Mac minis Tiger doesn't fully work for one of
> the apps, after MUCH experimenting.
> >

> Even though the OP says Backup Drive, I think he could also use an
> internal partitioned drive that has Classic OS 9.1 on one partition for his
> purpose, then use option key on Startup.
>
> I don't think he means a drive that he can use as a external backup for
> his OSs, Apps or Docs.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.