On Feb 17, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Paolo Tassotti wrote:

As suggested by some of you, I've swapped the internal CD burner of my
G4 with a Nec DVD burner grabbed from a Lacie enclosure whose power
supply is apparently dead.

You may have old firmware on the NEC DVD burner? My Lacie Porsche Design Firewire DVD burner came with an NEC ND-3520A DVD unit that was about 5 revisions old on firmware. Even the Oxford FW bridge needed an update also. I'm not sure if the Mac PPC Lacie Firmware Update Tool works for drives mounted on the ATA bus, but you might try it because it's a comprehensive updater with firmware for all their DVD drives. Mine was update from v.3.01 to v.3.07. Here's a link to the updater:

<http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10147>

All works fine, but I would be even happier if the "eject" button on
my keyboard would work as it did with the old Sony reader !

Should work. I'd make sure the DVD unit has newest firmware.

to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.