On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:13 PM, JohnV <vengbj...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Haven;t done this yet
>
>>> Run disk repair.
>
> did this, DIsk Utility stops and says the volume has problems

Ok you've either got disk hardware issues or it's a corrupted volume. If it's
the latter DiskWarrior can fix this.

>>> I assume the $80 SEAGATE 7200's at BEST BUY are adequate?
>>
>> Yep/
>>
>>> Do I want to get something small, or to partition a 2T drive?
>>
>> No, I see no reason to partition drives unless you have need for multiple
>> OS'es or a dedicated scratch partition.
>
> My ignorance to the fore here, Do I recall something about boot partition
> can;t be bigger than Some Size...?
> I just slapped the new 2T drive in for HD #2 and it works fine except for the
> odd sluggish response of iTunes (I have teh iTunes library on HD2)
> it seems this is just as simple, buy a drive, pop it in,

It is that simple. The limitation you're remembering is ancient ancient
history: there were some early OS X-capable Macs that required the OS to be in
an 8gb or smaller partition, but that doesn't apply here.

>>> CCC has been backing this #1 drive to the #2 (2T) drive  for the last few
>>> days.
>>
>> If this is a straight-up volume-volume copy in CCC (and the 'Make Bootable'
>> option is checked), just boot holding down the option key, select the CCC
>> backup to boot from it.
>
> I don;t see a MAKE BOOTABLE option in CCC preferences... is that the
> AUTOMATICALLY SAVE TO A DISK IMAGE ON NON_HFS+ FORMATTED DESTINATIONS ?

No, in fact saving as a disk image is NOT what you want to do. I don't know
what version of CCC you're using. Older versions had a checkbox to allow the
backup to be bootable, so long as the drive was formatted correctly and with
the correct partition type.

Just checked my version (v 3.3.3) and it will automatically create a bootable
clone if the drive is properly formatted and you've selected a disk instead of
disk image to back up to.

>> run CCC to restore everything to the new drive and you're good to go. If it
>> isn't, and you're insistent on sticking with 10.4 then it's a more difficult
>> proposition, since you cannot use Migration Assistant.
>
> Don;t follow you there... why does 'sticking with 10.4.11' make this MORE
> difficult... it's 10.4.11 restoring to itself... or am I missing something?
> Again with my apparently endless ability to project more problems by assuming
> I'm missing key elements:

If your CCC backup is not bootable, you will have to boot from a bootable
device, then copy the CCC clone to the new drive. This will be a more
complicated project. I thought 10.4 doesn't inculde Migration Assistant, but
apparently it does <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1554> This article covers
some of the info you need to know.

> INSTALL EMPTY NEW #1 DRIVE
> Boot under CCC backup

New hard drives typiically come either unformatted, or formatted as FAT or NTFS
for Windows use. You have to reformat your new drive before this will work:

Start Disk utility, select the new drive ( the line in Disk utility that
includes the size)  and click on the Partition tab. Under Partition Layout,
select '1 Partition', then click on Options and make sure 'Apple Partition Map'
is selected.

> (seemingly magically) just transfer CCC backup to empty drive #1 and I should
> be happy?

Not magically, start CCC on your cloned drive and clone itself to the new hard
drive.

> Wasn;t that CCC backup from a damaged disk in the  first place?  Do Not
> Re-install OSX, Do not pass Go , do not pay local Mac Shop $200…?

You mentioned a few files that CCC complains about. What are they? If they're
not in the System or Library folder thay'll have nothing to do with the Mac
running or not. CCC won't copy disk damage.

> thanks tons for your patience here.
> I have spent my life doing  troubleshoot/repair of analog systems and
> machines but this common home-computer maintenance is just driving me bats...
> I feel dense.  grumblrlrlgmblblbl.....hrmph!

We have all been there. I spent yesterday deep in the guts of the Internet
Email specifications <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt> to figure out why
some mail servers were mangling emails a program was sending out. I'm now an
expert on multi-part MIME message construction…for a week or so until I have to
become an instant expert in something else that breaks :-)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---