On Jun 2, 2014, at 4:05 AM, Alex Sciortino <zeosr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello! Today I made an interesting observation and was wondering if anybody
> else has had the same experience. Today the 6mo old HDD in my MBP failed, but
> I have the original 320gb in a PM G5 and even an original 13gb HDD in a iMac
> G3 still running with out issues. I have had quite a few HDDs that were
> newish fail in the past few years. Thanks!

It's a consequence of the bottom falling out of HDD prices, and the
staggeringly high rate of HDD size increase, I expect.

Engineering corners are being cut to keep prices low, and hardware is pushed to
the limit to do things like put 1TB on one drive platter.

I'd wager that 320GB one has two platters, and that 13 GB one may even have 4.
This means larger, more mechanically rugged read heads, and beefier mechanicals
to move all that mass around.

The controllers will have more discrete, physically larger components. More
mass == more thermal mass to deal with heat and power.

In the days when you could charge $400 for a HDD, QC could be much more
thorough than when you can charge < $100.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---