Monday my DA G4 died. I had it on an APC 650 UPS. I woke up and alarm was
going off and the green light was flashing.
I turned off the UPS and turned it back on. At that moment I heard sound
somewhere between a zap and a pop. My DA G4
was nonfunctional.

A couple of years ago I got a power surge that blew out the power supply,
the ATA133 card, the controller boards on the
hard drives, the USB PCI card and the USB hub. I replaced all of that and
got this computer working again. I put it on an
UPS. I don't understand why this happened. The thing should have been
protected.

None of the other computer gear I've got, cable modem, router, TiVos or
anything else on my network was damaged. My
55 inch tv is fine. I don't get it.

This computer was pushed nearly as far as you can push a G4. It had a 1.6
GHz processor upgrade. It had a 300 and 500 gig
hard drive. 1.5 gigs of ram. It was old but it had lots of software that
isn't replaceable for less than a few thousand dollars.

I ordered a usb rack drive so I can salvage files from the HDs. The
controller boards might be shot. I've replaced those before.

There is no way of telling what the damage is. I am running a G5 which has
taken most of the week to get back to where I
nearly was.

I have been having a recurring problem with it. Sometimes when it boots up
it won't recognize any input from the keyboard.
You type and nothing happens. Sometimes the trackball doesn't work either.
Tonight I got my Epson 600 scanner working.
Unfortunately, the keyboard quit working. I powered off and rebooted twice
to no avail. I finally swapped the keyboard cord
to another spot on the usb hub and it started working.

Any suggestions on any of this might be useful.

Thanks, Mark Murphy

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.