The problem, as it turns out, may simply be due to interference with the wireless mice from either my iPhone or our home wi-fi network. I usually have the iPhone (6S+) close by, and our Spectrum cable monitor (Ubee) is close by the computer as well. I plugged in a generic "made in China" wired USB optical mouse, and the problems went away, although I was certain I had experienced the same issues with it earlier as with the wireless mice. Also, the wireless mice worked fine until just recently, when it developed issues all at once across a broad range of applications and games. I live in an apartment complex, and my iPhone indicates the presence of several home wi-fi networks among the neighbors, so perhaps the interference is coming from one or more of them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll file them for future reference. I did try deleting the mouse prefs plist earlier while working the problem, but that did not resolve the issues with the wireless mice.

Michael McMurtrey
Carrollton, TX