The boot drive definitely has issues. I was able to get the few files I
actively use off, and at this point I am running off the original (!) 120gb
internal drive and a thumb drive for my data.

I was still having boot issues though when I had both 500gb drives plugged
in. I had bought an SATA interface and ended up unplugging both drives from
it and power. I need to dig up my warranty info from that - my original
500gb drives had a 5 year warranty and these were installed summer 2013 but
I don't remember their warranty.

That said, apparently when I set these up, I allowed Chronosync to do it's
thing on the internal backup without first making it a boot drive i.e. I
cannot book from my backup drive. Can I install Tiger over the top of what
I have on there? I have never been able to make Chronosync make a bootable
backup.

Thanks
Diane

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Clark Martin <cm...@sonic.net> wrote:

> If the OP wants to confirm this, disconnect the HDD, power and data and
> boot.  It SHOULD come up with the “I want a disk” screen.  If it shuts
> down, it certainly isn’t the HDD.
>
> A lot of simple debugging can be done by disconnecting things.  Minimum
> for a test is video, power and one bank of memory, no USB, no serial, no
> ADB, no network, no expansion cards (except for video if needed), etc.
>

> Clark Martin
> A designated driver on the information Super Highway
>
> On Mar 4, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu
> <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>> wrote:
>
> On Feb 24, 2018, at 3:44 PM, Mac User #330250 <macuser330...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>

> Even if the HDD was toast, the Mac would not shutdown: it would say "I
> can't
> find any boot disk" - or something like that.
> And if the HDD was corrupted, the Mac would show the folder icon with a
> flashing question mark (meaning "Cannot find a valid system to boot").
>

> HDD failures don't have to be total. Sometimes only some sectors are
> corrupted and that's what makes it act up, including the possibility to
> have it shut down on its own afer a certain timeout.
>

> I’ve dealt with failing disks a number of times on both Classic and OS X
> over the years and this will not cause the system to shut down like this.
>

> --
> --
> group/g3-5-list
>
> ---