Hallo a h-uile duine,

Leugh mi na leanas, agus 'sann u\idheil a tha e.
I read the following, and it's interesting. (I thought)

Cum ort leis a' Gha\idhlig!
Keep up with the Gaelic!

Siu\saidh

------------------

The following is from an article "Speaking Gaelic" by Bruce MacWilliam in the magazine
"Scots," #8, page 40:

I'm sure you will be as warmly encouraged as I was when I first summoned up the
courage to ask "Ciamar a tha sibh?" How are you?  I was trying out my Gaelic on the
post mistress in Castlebay on Barra, one of the most remote islands of the Outer
Hebrides.  Right on cue she replied "gle\ mhath" (very well) and then followed up with
a question of her own: "ciamar a tha sibh fhe\in?" (how are you?)  Having well and
truly rehearsed all this before hand, I was ready with my response: "tha gu math"
(fine).  For good measure I added "tapadh leibh" (thank you).

It was a moment I shall remember forever and not least because having broken the
linguistic ice in the Oifis a' Phuist (Post Office) I was immediately set upon by a
posse of grinning Gaelic-speaking Islanders who were eager to hear more from this
stranger who was making an effort to communicate in their own language.  Lamely, I had
to lapse back into English.  "Aah," growled a man in a tweed cap, "Well, keep at it,
lad" he said.  "Keep at it.  There's a whole world within our language."  I thought
that was one of the most profound observations I had ever heard because at that moment
I realised that without at least some understanding of Gaelic I would be forever an
outsider, a spectator, allowed just a tiny glimpse of a rich and vital culture.