ednsue wrote:

> Hallo a h-uile duine,
>
> Leugh mi na leanas, agus 'sann u\idheil a tha e.
> I read the following, and it's interesting. (I thought)
>
> Cum ort leis a' Gha\idhlig!
> Keep up with the Gaelic!
>
> Siu\saidh
>
> ------------------
>
> The following is from an article "Speaking Gaelic" by Bruce MacWilliam in the
>magazine "Scots," #8, page 40:
>
> I'm sure you will be as warmly encouraged as I was when I first summoned up the
>courage to ask "Ciamar a tha sibh?" How are you?  I was trying out my Gaelic on the
>post mistress in Castlebay on Barra, one of the most remote islands of the Outer
>Hebrides.  Right on cue she replied "gle\ mhath" (very well) and then followed up
>with a question of her own: "ciamar a tha sibh fhe\in?" (how are you?)  Having well
>and truly rehearsed all this before hand, I was ready with my response: "tha gu math"
>(fine).  For good measure I added "tapadh leibh" (thank you).
>
> It was a moment I shall remember forever and not least because having broken the
>linguistic ice in the Oifis a' Phuist (Post Office) I was immediately set upon by a
>posse of grinning Gaelic-speaking Islanders who were eager to hear more from this
>stranger who was making an effort to communicate in their own language.  Lamely, I
>had to lapse back into English.  "Aah," growled a man in a tweed cap, "Well, keep at
>it, lad" he said.  "Keep at it.  There's a whole world within our language."  I
>thought that was one of the most profound observations I had ever heard because at
>that moment I realised that without at least some understanding of Gaelic I would be
>forever an outsider, a spectator, allowed just a tiny glimpse of a rich and vital
>culture.
> The Nova Scotia Scottish Gaelic Learner's List - Archives -

  A Shisaidh,

Mle taing a Shisaidh. 'Sann a tha na seann daoine fileanta uamhasach brosnachail do
'n a h-uile duine a bheir feuchainn air a' Ghidhlig cleachdadh. Tha ln fhios agam
air a' sin agus tha mi fda nan comain.

Thousand thanks Sue. Is it that are the old people fluent terribly encouraging to
everyone who gives a try on the Gaelic practicing. Is full knowledge at-me on that and
am I far in the debt.

Thankk you, Sue. The old fluent people are incredibly encouraging to everyone who
tries to speak Gaelic. I am fully aware of that and I am greatly in their debt.

Bu mhath leam an naidheachd seo a leughadh.
Was good with-me the news this reading
I was glad to read this news.

"... a whole world within our language..." Yes, and a better one.

Bu toigh leam aithne a chuir air an fhear sin.

Would like I recognition to put on the man that.

I'd like to meet that man.

Le meas,
Aonghas