Hallo a Holly (neo Chuileann)

Sgri\obh thu: (you wrote)

>1. Are you interested in learning the Gaelic language?
>     I'm passionate about the language and want to learn very much, but
> I'm in
>grad school in a city where only beginner-level Scots Gaelic classes are now
>offered... the teacher actually decided to stop teaching our intermediate
>class because we were too much of a drain on his energy, and his new plan of
>monthly "conversation nights" doesn't give the weekly challenge I need to
>keep my skills up. Obh, mo chreach!

I know the feeling. It's a lonely job being (or trying to be) a Gaelic
speaker (imagine being a Gaelic Maytag repairman !), but thankfully there
are lots of resources if you don't mind talking to yourself. Have you tried
Roddy MacLean's "Letters for Learners" on the BBC Gaelic website?

         www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/foghlam/litir

There is a new letter each week (there are now something like 72 letters,
all archived) and you can read each letter as well as listen to Roddy read it.

Then there is CLI, Comman an Luchd Ionnsachaidh:

         www.gaelic.net/cli

This is the Association of Gaelic Learners, who publish a quarterly
magazine, Cothrom, which is bi-lingual, Gaelic on one side of the page and
an English translation opposite. In addition you can get an audio tape to
accompany the magazine. It's a bit pricey, but worth the money if you're
not on a tight budget.

>2. Do the messages on this list help you ? Gu dearbh!  This is now my only
>source of Gaelic "input" beyond the CDs and tapes I listen to, and though I
>tend to be in a state of academic exhaustion when I read my e-mail, I do take
>the time to read every message that comes along, all the while wishing I had
>more energy to wade through my dictionaries and grammar books so that I could
>respond.

Well, you're responding now. Next time add a little Gaelic. You're among
friends.

>3. What would you like to see on this list that would help you get going with
>your Gaelic?  I loved the little exercise posted recently--of coming up with
>statements that incorporate certain words--and I've enjoyed all the
>discussions of grammar, proverbs, tree names, etc.  Such wee "assignments"
>offer me the hope that I might be able to manage some of them soon!

I'll try to come up with some more. I'm glad you enjoyed the first one.

>4. Perhaps you're not interested in Gaelic right now. Let's hear from you
>anyway.
>     While I've not been very useful to you list-folk out there, I've been
>trying to support the language and the culture every way I can.  I've been
>working Gaelic words and Celtic cultural information into nearly every paper
>I write, (not as much of a challenge in theological school as you might
>think), and trying to learn and share some of the music as well.  This is my
>last year of grad school, and when I graduate I intend to carve out more time
>for intense Gaelic study.  This list is a blessing, however... please
>understand that I appreciate the posts and hope to add more to them when I
>can!

Tapadh leat airson do phuist-dhealain. (Thanks for your e-mail - I'm still
not that great with the genitive, so don't look too closely at that last bit.)

Sla\n leat,

Eideard