Hi Janice, Angus et al,

This is going to be in Beurla (English) so gabhaibh mo leisgeul, ma 's e ur
toil e ( please excuse me ).

Angus wrote:

   I couldn't find the past tense of " is toigh leam" in TYG,  and it's
getting too close to
> > my bedtime, but I'll find it somewhere or ask someone to be certain. Does
> > anyone else have this in another course or book?

To which Janice replied:

>There are a few examples of the past temse of 'is' in Ronald Black's
>"Cothrom Ionnsachaidh (page 55 in my edition). It's in Scottish Gaelic
>in 3 Months as well (also page 55 starngely enough!) Neither gives a
>very good explanation though.

If I may join the discussion, I think the problem lies in how we define the
past tense. All the examples that I've seen using "bu" are in the sense of
"was" or "would", in other words the past imperfect and the conditional,
apart from one passing reference in SGin3 which says that "Bu toil le Iain
cofaidh" can be translated as " John would like coffee,
  or John liked coffee" (which I don't consider very convincing). The
author then goes on to say "We will translate "bu" as conditional in what
follows."

Black calls "bu" the past tense in his book, but then translates it as
"was" which again, from my point of view is not the past tense in the sense
of "I walked" (past) as opposed to "I was walking." (past imp.)

Dwelly says for "bu" : past ind. of defec. v. "is". was, wert, were.
  Bu mhi - I was; b'e ( for bu e ) he was.........etc.

I think the original question was something like how do you say "I liked
something, and how do you say I will like something ?" (Please correct me
if I'm wrong.) Nothing I've seen would indicate that these can be
translated using the verb "is" . Further, I can't give an example of how to
get around this linguistic problem other than to use the verb "co\rd",
which won't satisfy every one. That's my two cents worth.

Eideard