Hallo a Sheonag

At 01:47 PM 10/18/00, you wrote:
>Hallo Eideard,
>
>Ask David (Livingston-Lowe) about this the next time you see him. I know
>he has said that that 'bu' can indicate past habitual action.

This I take to mean something that happened habitually in the past, not
just once. What about "I liked her when I first met her, but I'm not so
sure now" ? It gets back to the difference between (in English) past
perfect - something that's over and done with, and the past imperfect which
happened over a period of time, but in the past. "I was on the bus every
weekend last year", or " I was a young man when I was in the army".

>  I have
>somewhat cryptic notes from when I took his university course in
>Scottish Gaelic that probably wouldn't convince you either <g>
>
>You would definately be understood to mean that you liked something in
>the past (in context) if you used that construction.

You're right; I'm still not convinced, and nothing has been said yet about
the future. How do you say " Wait till you meet my new friend. You'll like
her "? or, "Wait till you try my new recipe; you'll like it, I'm sure."

Food for thought. But thanks for the suggestion - I'd like to hear what
David has to say on the subject.

Sla\n leat,

Eideard