Hallo Elidh

Sgri\obh thu:

>Do you suppose our word ransack is derived from *rannsaich*?

The Gaelic word and the English word both derive from the same source, the
Vikings. In the Norse language (Old Norse) rann means house, and saka means
look for something. This is all beautifully covered in Roddy MacLean's
"Litir do Luchd Ionnsachaidh #74" which can be found on the BBC website. If
you haven't looked at this site yet I would highly recommend it.
www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/foghlam/litir

By now there are 77 letters, and you can not only read them in Gaelic, but
you can also listen to Roddy reading them. What are you waiting for?

Eideard