Feature Requests item #1439180, was opened at 2006-02-26 15:03
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by abehrens
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1439180&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
For chat-junkies like I am (and the other half of the
internet-community) logging is a very useful feature
and we use it exhaustively. the problem with it, is
that the log-files are saved onto ~/.gaim/logs
uncompressed and occupy A LOT OF precious diskspace.
Since the logs are made up of simple ascii files
(text or html) you will experience a huge reduction
(up to 20 times) in size by using ordinary wellknown
compression-algorithms. A fairly new gaim directory I
examined had grown to 7,1 MB within 5 weeks. issuing
tar cvfj logs.tar.bz2 logs demonstrated what can be
achieved in this field.
A few commands say more than thousand words...
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.gaim $ du -sh logs/
7,2M    logs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.gaim $ tar cvfj logs.tar.bz2
logs
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.gaim $ du -sh logs.tar.bz2
436K    logs.tar.bz2
Now, 7,2 MB is not that much but in a year, it will
grow to 70 MB. within 2 years 140 MB. Why shouldn't
that be reduced to less than 10 MB?
Since I see no practical reason that speaks against
compressing the logs (except of programming effort),
this feature would be very useful.

Comment By: abehrens (abehrens)