Feature Requests item #1517536, was opened at 2006-07-05 10:02
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by thekingant
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1517536&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
In the days prior to server lists, there were common
hacks available to the official ICQ clients to make
them ignore the authorization process when adding new
contacts. (... and not display ads, and so on.) The
authorization process was completely optional, as all
data was stored locally anyhow.

If you install a newer ICQ (2001b and on), it uploads
the complete client-based contact list automatically to
the ICQ server with no new authorization. It would be
much simpler for users if GAIM would use that mechanism
for adding users, if possible, and ignore the whole
authorization farce altogether.