Feature Requests item #1438685, was opened at 2006-02-25 12:36
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1438685&group_id=235

Category: msn

Initial Comment:
Until now I have been using Jabber AND MSN Messenger
AND Yahoo!Messenger to IM to buddies at home and at
work, as I have buddies and co-workers on all those
systems.

I have started using Gaim as a potential replacement to
all three of those. I have tried to make this work
quite a bit, but I appologise if this already works and
I just don't know how to do it.

This new feature request is what is stopping me making
the switch to Gaim only and uninstalling the others:

I need to IM from:-
- home/travelling -> open internet connection
- home/travelling -> while I have a VPN to work
connected for other apps
- at work inside the firewall

MSN messenger is able to connect to MSN from inside
work firewall/VPN  or open internet connection without
me changing anything. I have no special setting at all
in MSN and have not configured the socks-server exit
from work, but in IE I have an auto-proxy configured
that MSN messenger maybe using.

With Gaim I have to activate/de-activate manually the
socks method from UI whenever I leave work. I have
tried the settings to get it to use "environment proxy"
or "autoproxy" but can't get out of the firewall when
at work (unless I configure socks).

Assuming there is no one "always works" way to connect,
could we make Gaim try multiple methods to connect,
from a list, maybe in priority order configurable by
the user. Especially when the host can't be seen at
all, and it's not a protocol problem?

I can go into more details with anyone interested in
following up, and can send detailed configuration details.

regards
      Andrew