Feature Requests item #1265944, was opened at 2005-08-22 02:37
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1265944&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
example:
I have an existing ICQ account, with many contacts
stored on my server-side contact-list.

When GAIM connects, it syncs with the server and I can
see all the contacts in my local list, but the problem is
that UINs are displayed, though it would be reasonable to
get retrieve the profiles and then display the contact
names rather their numbers.

Yes, I can manually right-click and change the display
name, but this is impractical for the cases of long
contact lists.

I believe that an automation option will be a significant
enhancement of ergonomy.

This is applicable to all the Gaim versions I've tried,
including the current 1.5.0 [I use the Linux version, in
Fedora Core 4]

Thanks