Feature Requests item #1019739, was opened at 2004-08-31 10:57
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1019739&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
With the actual layout you have to open the main Gaim
window to change your status (via the icon in the
bottom right corner, or the "Tools" menu)

I think having a "Status" submenu, in the menu that
opens when you right-click in the notification area
icon, and lets you change your status, would be more
correct.

Also that notification area icon should reflect the
status with different icons, as the official MSN
Messenger client does, because currently you cannot
know which state you are. Also the small icon in the
bottom-right corner of the main window should change to
reflect it, and as a final thought, the currently
selected option in the "Away" menu should have a
"check" near it to let you know which state is selected.