Feature Requests item #1410610, was opened at 2006-01-20 04:21
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1410610&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
I checked quickly, and was surprised this one hasn't
been mentioned.  It's nice that people have chosen to
make me their buddy, but when it results in a pop-up
over what I'm typing it's a big problem:  By the time I
notice that this dialog has popped up over my stuff,
I've already banished it by hitting [space], [enter] or
so.  By then, half of what I was typing is gone, and I
may or may not have made some guy in Iqaluit my buddy.

I don't even speak his language!

I use ICQ constantly, still (2003a for the SMS and
design) and notice that their constant buddy-request
spam is contained in a channel at the bottom of the
main UI.  I need to click the blinky thing to even know
that someone thinks I'd like to be their buddy.

So here's my request:  Stop with anything which will
cause a pop-up kind of event to be launched.  Stop it!
 Specifically, maybe recycle some of the wasted
this-is-my-away-message-de-l'heure real estate and use
it for a central non-person kind of system message
event channel so I don't get 18 pop-ups throughout the
day from scammers speaking something I can't.  Then -
after SMS - I can maybe consider ditching this old, old
ICQ client.

You say Feature Request, I say Wetware Denial of
Service bug, same thing.

win98se 2.0.0b1