Feature Requests item #651108, was opened at 2002-12-09 16:26
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=651108&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
I've recently been having LOTS of stability issues with
Gaim CVS which I believe are due to my system
configuration and not the gaim code. However, they have
exposed a need for improved crash handling. Either of
the following is, IMO, a good solution assuming that it
could be easily implemented:

1) Bona-fide crash recovery, ala Galeon. If gaim
crashes while a message is displayed, at next startup
the message or at the very least an IM window to the
sender, should be opened.

2) Earlier logging of messages. A message should be
written to the log (if logging is enabled) the moment
it is received. This way, if receipt of a message
causes a crash, the message SHOULD (theoretically)
still be written to the log so that when a user comes
back to find gaim crashed, s/he can have some way of
determining who last messaged them and about what.

I have yet to actually peruse the code, but I'd imagine
that 2 would be easy to implement with little more than
a cut-and-paste of the logging function to an earlier
point in the messaging process.