Feature Requests item #1039407, was opened at 2004-10-03 09:24
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1039407&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
Hi

With the large majority of people in Linux using
something like gnome/kde/xfce which supports  a system
tray spec I believe it would make sense for this plugin
to be enabled by default.  For other users using
minimalistic Window managers, they are likely power
users who are capable of turning off this option
themselves.

If you dont believe in this please consider turning
this by default for win gaim. It doesnt make sense to
turn off sys tray plugin for windows users

regards
Rahul Sundaram