Feature Requests item #1194202, was opened at 2005-05-02 23:40
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1194202&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
This is minor but here goes....

Jabber protocol supports a special way to announce
messages to people on the server.  Sending a message to
server.com/announce/online does the trick.
Unfortunately, the parsing code for gaim precludes the
ability to add this special "buddy" as a buddy.  It
strips off the "/announce/online" part somewhere.

You can add the buddy and manually modify the buddy
list XML to be "server.com/announce/online" instead of
"server.com" (what it is reduced to upon addition of
the buddy) to support sending quick messages to all
logged in users but it's something of a hack.  Ideally
I would like to find a way to modify the parsing for
buddy names to allow the addition of the
"server.com/announce/online" buddy to the buddy list
and also for it to "appear"  online always (instead of
requiring   verification).

This would allow administrators to more easily send
messages to everyone currently logged into the server.
 This is not of much importance on traditional jabber
servers but ideal for an office environment where
people want to send quick messages to everyone logged
in (and everyone who has an account has been given
administrative access).

Furthermore, the parsing code also takes incoming
messages from "announce/online" to be from
"server.com".  This presents a problem when people
respond to "server.com" who have administrator privs as
they get a slew of errors.  It would also be nice for
messages from "server.com/announce/online" to show up
that way (although I'm not sure if it's possible to
deduce whether they actually were sent to
/announce/online in which case it might be more prudent
for them to appear from "server.com" anyways.

I know these are somewhat esoteric bugs but they could
be useful to fix in limited circumstances! (especially
the parsing one) :)