Feature Requests item #981260, was opened at 2004-06-28 09:49
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=981260&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
The %n command, when used in an AIM away message,
displays the screen name of any user who IMs you.

In Gaim, it will sometimes display the person's screen
name ("I love %n" becomes "I love gaimuser001") and
will sometimes display their alias ("I love John Smith").

Which doesn't seem like a huge thing until you consider
that most people will know that "I love gaimuser001" is
a special command, and will display anyone's screen
name... while "I love John Smith" means you're talking
about John Smith specifically.

Which can get you in trouble when you use the %n
command to jokingly threaten people with death... two
people actually thought I meant them.