Feature Requests item #920663, was opened at 2004-03-21 16:57
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=920663&group_id=235

Initial Comment:
This may be a bit of personal preference (or
nitpicking) but I feel the preferences dialog to be a
bit unorganized. I have some suggestions for it:

1. some categories that appear in the tree on the left
side could appear as tabs on the right side (like "IMs"
and "Chats" under the "conversations" branch);

2. some categories have a very small number of
preferences which seems to indicate that they could be
merged with others (for instance, the options -- one
option -- in the "interface" category could be inside
"buddy list");

3. "sounds" could be merged with "sound events";

4. the "away messages" section could go inside
"away/idle", possibly with a button there which would
popup a dialog to edit the away messages ("sound
events" and "sounds" could have a similar relationship);

5. instead of a subtree under "plugins", the "plugins"
section could have a button labeled "configure..."
which would popup a dialog with the preferences of the
selected plugin (or be disabled if the plugin has no
preferences or isn't active).

6. (a true nitpick) the dialog would look better if it
had landscape instead of portrait dimensions.

These ideas could allow the tree to be replaced
completely, maybe by a list with icons. I guess what I
am talking about is something along the lines of the
preferences dialog in evolution 1.4
[http://www.ximian.com/images/screenshots/evolution/preferences_mail.png].