I'm pretty sure this is just a result of the base64 encoding in
Python. I came across the same thing in Ruby, and had to call a
replacement routine to remove linebreaks from the encoder's output.
It's probably as simple as finding the variable that holds the base64
string, and calling it's .replace method, ie:

authdata.replace("\n", '')

Or something along those lines. I don't use Python extensively.

On 3/4/06, Arnaud Abélard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I think i've found a bug somewhere in the authentication part of gajim.
>
> Some of my users complained they couldn't use gajim with our jabber
> server but could use other clients like psi, gossip, etc. I am myself
> using gajim without trouble, so this kind of surprised me.
>
> I tested with an account known not to be able to connect using gajim and
> i discovered something weird in the <auth> packet.
>
> For example with this account:
> jid: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> password: AZERTYUIOP99 (i changed the password so no worries)
>
> the auth packet sent by gajim is the following:
>
> <auth xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl"
> mechanism="PLAIN">Y3Jhc2h0ZXN0LmR1bW15QHVuaXYtbmFudGVzLmZyAGNyYXNodGVzdC5kdW1teQBBWkVSVFlVSU9Q
> OTk=
> </auth>
>
> notice the line wrap inside the base64 encoded data (no, it's not a
> mailer line wrap, that's actually how the packet was sent)? where is
> that coming from? indeed, decoding this base64 string will give a wrong
> password... after asking different users it seems like this is why the
> users couldn't log on all the one who had trouble logging in actually
> have a line wrap in the <auth> packet and users who can log on fine don't.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Arnaud Abélard

Eric Will -- http://www.ericw.org/
xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]