2006/8/20, Le Boulanger Yann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Joel Dimbernat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to write something that does the same that gtalk does (i.e
> update status with the played song) for gajim and rhythmbox.
>
> Gajim has a class that do that very well, named gajim-remote, I've seen
> some examples. But all these examples were plugins for the music player,
> and I don't think (in my very humble opinion) it's the right way to do it.
>
> Rhythmbox has it's own Dbus API, and I think Gajim should connect to it
> and recieve events from it.
>
> So i'm asking you if I'm right or wrong about it?
>
> And is Gajim using other Dbus connection from another program (to have
> some example)?
>
> Thanks

What you'd like is that gajim knows every dbus interface of every player
nd handle them ? I don't think it's a good idea. there are too many, and
what if a player changes his API ?

I understand you right, but on the other hand should every music player implement every dbus interface of every IM program and handle them?
Gtalk choosed to handle 3 or 4 music players...

Maybe you're right and I should implement it as a rhythmbox plugin, but I really think it has its place in Gajim especially to make it take place in the GUI.

I worked a bit on it yesterday and it works not so bad but lacks a bit of polish yet, I'll post it as soon as it's ok, then you'll be free to do whatever you want with it.

I was impressed by how clear and how easy it was to hack the code, thanks for it guys!