Thomas Prochaska wrote:

> because of the lack of an real good terminal jabber client

This is my impression as well, with the exception of jabber.el, which
is quite good and actively developed (actually my default client at
home where it's not healthy to run Gajim).  But I guess it's not an
option for people that don't use Emacs.

> i wanted to write a ncurses frontend to gajim.

It is better, IMVHO, to concentrate on GNU Freetalk [1] since the work
you're going to do for console-based Gajim is likely to be more
complicated than fixing the current freetalk.  Freetalk has a nice
concept, but the project stalled in the last year.  They started
implementing jingle functionality instead of fixing the important
issues.

[1] http://gnu.org/software/freetalk