On 8/31/07, Vincent Hanquez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:12:37PM +0200, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
> > Gajim is currently released under GPL V2. We'd like to release next
> > version under GPL V3 or any later version. For that we need that all of
> > you (developers and patchers) accept this change.
> >
> > Richard Stallman explains here [0] some reasons to switch to Versino 3
> > of GPL.
>
> That doesn't explains why it's good for gajim, does it ?

No if you want to look it up, you're free to do so. :) Yann won't copy paste
fsf docs cause everyone here knows fsf.

> And as it's difficult to upgrade from GPL V2 to V3, we'd like to release
> > under V3 *or any later version* so that next version of GPL will be used
> > without having to ask everyone.
>
> I agree with the upgrade to GPL v3, not that I think that's actually
> needed or useful, but I absolutely *disagree* to "any later version".
> I'll never agree to license that doesn't exists yet (and that's why gajim
> was GPL v2 only in the first place)

I agree with you on the "or later" being too vague, too general but in legal
terms it's better than only gplv3 especially because it makes it easier to
switch to gplv4 (after 10 years..) and to gplv5 (after 15-20 years). We
don't know of course what FLOSS and Gajim will be in the next 5 years so..

Moreover the more developers hack, the less easier it gets to update to v4
v5 etc.. But if we don't then we may lose compatibility (well... officialy
that).

Google on "GPL or later" for more.

Anyways, good to see you respond.