Mateusz Biliński wrote:
> 2008/3/4 Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Mateusz Biliński wrote:
>>  > Hi.
>>  > I followed Asterix's advice regarding implementing whiteboard in Gajim
>>  > and GSoC2008 and started a discussion at XMPP Standards list:
>>  > http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-March/018084.html
>>
>>  Thanks for the taking the initiative. :)
>
> My pleasure :)
>
>>  Will Gajim apply on its own or will Gajim-related projects be mentored
>>  under the umbrella of the XMPP Standards Foundation again this year?
>>  (Assuming the XSF is accepted... :)
>
> I don't want to speak on behalf of Asterix but he suggested on MUC
> that Gajim will use XSF umbrella this year:
> #v+
> [15:13] <vArDo> hi all, is Gajim going to apply for mentoring projects
> @GoogleSoC2008?
> [15:18] <Asterix> vArDo: YES
> [15:18] <Asterix> vArDo: through XSF
> [15:19] <Asterix> as last 2 past years
> #v-

Yes, I need to complete the application today or tomorrow. :)

>>  [cut!]
>>  Whiteboarding is a fun feature but given the fact that we (= the XMPP
>>  developer community) haven't been able to agree on a solution or even if
>>  this is a problem that the community needs or wants to solve in general,
>>  it seems like possibly a risky project to purse for the Summer of Code.
>>  However I am open to changing my mind about that.
>
> It is what I'm afraid of since I've read all the discussions at
> standards list. This my be probably not the best time for implementing
> whiteboarding (in context of standardization), on the other hand it
> would be great to have whiteboard in Gajim which could interoperate
> with i.e. Joonas's implementation in Psi (and after GSoC work in
> parallel on whiteboarding in two independent clients). Decision will
> be probably made by XMPP developers community so I've just wanted to
> know whether there any chances for it on GSoC2008. It seems that these
> are not very big currently :)
>
> It would be great if you could ask other people at XSF how they see
> this. Is there any sense for applying with this project or will it
> meet strong rejection.

I think it would be great to have an implementation of SXE whiteboarding
in Psi and an implementation in Gajim!

Unfortunately, we have competing proposals for whiteboarding over XMPP.
The XMPP Council needs to decide how to proceed. The "least-worst"
solution may be for the XSF to publish both as informational specs and
"let the market decide" about the best approach. If both Psi and Gajim
support the SXE approach (I think they are the two most popular
Jabber-only clients) then that would be part of the market
decision-making process. ;-)

>>  > * test framework: some sort of automated tests to test features in
>>  > Gajim to avoid regressions
>>
>>  Important, but kind of boring. But maybe you get excited about it. :) I
>>  think it's important to work on something that excites you, not just
>>  something that would be good for the community. Yes it's hard to balance
>>  those things sometimes...
>
> I thought of including automatic GUI testing stuff in it so it would
> be more fun. But yes - writing tests might be boring :]
>
>>  > * plugin system
>>
>>  Plugins are always cool. :)
>
> I'll probably write sth longer later, but in short this would include
> help with reorganizing how events work (there's a ticket for this
> already), and creating some hooks in gui (main menu, roster, chat
> window, context menu). IBM's Sametime has a pretty good documentation
> on it as they have generalized Sametime in version 7.5 and build a
> pretty nice framework. I've developed plugin for it during my
> internship at IBM so I have some experience in plugins system in
> (commercial) IM client.
>
> This would be really great to have because I remember that was really
> disappointed by Psi approach. I've been waiting for plugins system
> there for a long time and AFAIK Psi still has some Qt4 issues and
> plugins system is further down the road. Gajim is written in Python so
> it's easier to extend it but it's hard to organize these extensions so
> plugins system would be awesome IMHO :)

And of course SXE whiteboarding could be written as a plugin. ;-) But
you'll need to chat with Asterix to see if he thinks this is a good project.

>>  > * BOSH thing
>>
>>  IMHO BOSH will become more widespread (we hope to launch it soon at
>>  jabber.org once we install ejabberd 2.0.0 on a new machine) so support
>>  for it in Gajim would be great.
>
> You mean XMPP over BOSH?

Yes. But perhaps Gajim already includes support for this somewhere in SVN?

>>  Other projects I think are interesting (I am not sure if Gajim already
>>  supports these, my apologies if it does -- I'm a Psi user but would be
>>  happy to test Gajim on the Mac once that port is stable):
>>  [cut!]
>>  - support for message archiving (XEP-0136) -- this may be one of the
>>  community's priorities for 2008
>
> And it might be a really great project to implement for GSoC. I'm
> personally interested in making this work in Gajim ASAP as I use
> multiple OSes.

This also may be in Gajim SVN. I don't know what's in Gajim and what
isn't, so chat with Asterix about it. :)

BTW, all reports are that Asterix is a great mentor so I hope you can
find a project that will be accepted!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre