Here I am, back from some days without the internet :)

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>>  Will Gajim apply on its own or will Gajim-related projects be mentored
>>>  under the umbrella of the XMPP Standards Foundation again this year?
>>>  (Assuming the XSF is accepted... :)

Don't we need a real assiciation structure to apply as an organisation?
So indeed this year I was thinking about being in XMPP's umbrella. Do
you think Gajim should apply on its own Peter? Maybe for next year?

> I think it would be great to have an implementation of SXE whiteboarding
> in Psi and an implementation in Gajim!

+1, if all clients implement the same protocol, that would be much better !

> Unfortunately, we have competing proposals for whiteboarding over XMPP.
> The XMPP Council needs to decide how to proceed. The "least-worst"
> solution may be for the XSF to publish both as informational specs and
> "let the market decide" about the best approach. If both Psi and Gajim
> support the SXE approach (I think they are the two most popular
> Jabber-only clients) then that would be part of the market
> decision-making process. ;-)

At the begining I thought Mateusz could help you to write the XEP, but
in fact it seems it is already written. XSF needs to take a decision,
and in that, he can't help.

>>>  > * test framework: some sort of automated tests to test features in
>>>  > Gajim to avoid regressions
>>>
>>>  Important, but kind of boring. But maybe you get excited about it. :) I
>>>  think it's important to work on something that excites you, not just
>>>  something that would be good for the community. Yes it's hard to balance
>>>  those things sometimes...
>> I thought of including automatic GUI testing stuff in it so it would
>> be more fun. But yes - writing tests might be boring :]

Indeed, automatic GUI testingwould be nice too: we can't test all
features of gajim everyday.

>>>  > * plugin system
>>>
>>>  Plugins are always cool. :)
>> I'll probably write sth longer later, but in short this would include
>> help with reorganizing how events work (there's a ticket for this
>> already), and creating some hooks in gui (main menu, roster, chat
>> window, context menu). IBM's Sametime has a pretty good documentation
>> on it as they have generalized Sametime in version 7.5 and build a
>> pretty nice framework. I've developed plugin for it during my
>> internship at IBM so I have some experience in plugins system in
>> (commercial) IM client.

That's something we plan in a near futur (after 0.12 release) to be able
ton configure the way events are handled more smartly (buddy pounces)

>>>  > * BOSH thing
>>>
>>>  IMHO BOSH will become more widespread (we hope to launch it soon at
>>>  jabber.org once we install ejabberd 2.0.0 on a new machine) so support
>>>  for it in Gajim would be great.
>> You mean XMPP over BOSH?
>
> Yes. But perhaps Gajim already includes support for this somewhere in SVN?

No we don't have anything about that yet.

>>>  Other projects I think are interesting (I am not sure if Gajim already
>>>  supports these, my apologies if it does -- I'm a Psi user but would be
>>>  happy to test Gajim on the Mac once that port is stable):
>>>  - support for link-local messaging (XEP-0174)

We already have that.

 >>>  - support for PEP (XEP-0163)

We have that in SVN. Next release will have that.

>>>  - support for message archiving (XEP-0136) -- this may be one of the
>>>  community's priorities for 2008
>> And it might be a really great project to implement for GSoC. I'm
>> personally interested in making this work in Gajim ASAP as I use
>> multiple OSes.

We don't have that, and that would be a cool project too.

> BTW, all reports are that Asterix is a great mentor so I hope you can
> find a project that will be accepted!

Thank's Peter :)
--
Yann