On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 16:33 +0100, Mateusz Biliński wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Stephan Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> snip
> >
> >  In my opinion those are more valuable to Gajim than the whiteboard you
> >  mentioned. Of course whiteboarding is a cool feature but let me explain
> >  why I would prefer the plug-in system for now.
>
> I fully agree.
>
> snip
>
> I've talked to Asterix today, he said he had talked to you, he
> proposed plugins system as most wanted and I agreed. So plug-in system
> will be the main project I'll propose in application for GSoC. As a
> second-chance project (if XSF for some reason would reject this one) I
> thought of 'message archiving' because (as stpeter said) XSF wants to
> make it more popular in 2008. What do you think about that?

That's a reasonable decision and will be very valuable to Gajim and its
future. I really appreciate your decision.

> >  Of course you can start with a whiteboarding plugin if you have the time
> >  and the passion :-)
> >  Maybe there has been some progress on the XSF front by then.
>
> I'd like to implement it in Gajim for sure some day, but first things
> first. I think Gajim should benefit from GSoC2008 and plug-ins system
> seems to be the right way.

:-)

> >  Great to have this discussion here. I see lots of possible great new
> >  features, but still have to keep an eye on the maintainability of Gajim.
>
> Yeap. The faster Gajim gets plug-in system the better. :)
>
> We agreed with Asterix that at the end of GSoC2008 apart from plug-in
> system itself there should be two (or maybe one) simple (example)
> plug-ins to demonstrate the way how to create own.
>
> Asterix have one in mind but he had to leave so we'll probably talk in
> the evening.
>
> I thought of Gajim integration with Google maps (where people in
> roster currently are) or Google calendar (add events from texts in
> conversation, get notification of upcoming events - although I don't
> know whether there isn't some kind of a bot made by Google) or maybe a
> simple SMS plug-in.
>
> Do you have any ideas? I think these plug-ins would be a really nice
> (and easy to check) target to achieve during GSoC.

This google integration is a very good idea. By then PEP GeoIP should be
in place and you could use your plugin to fill it life. I couldn't think
of a GUI for it yet, you found it :-)

This could also show people how to modify the GUI: You might render a
small globe in the roster (next to the avatar) when a contact has
published his current position and activity.

What do you mean with a SMS plug-in? Do you want to interact with your
mobilephone or would it be some kind of sms transport?

Another possible plugin I can think of is integration with the evolution
address book. Afair the conduit guys are working on python bindings for
some time now.

Of course there is much more work to be done. We have many existing
features that should be outsourced as plugins.
(e.g. AWN toolbar integration and maybe some less frequently used
features like the latex formula rendering).
But imho this porting should be our task, not yours. :-)

Talk to you soon.

Best Regards.
Stephan Erb