Hi,

I'm trying to get rid of the GUI-blocking timeout that occurs on getaddrinfo() during connecting to XMPP server when network is down.

In such case, getaddrinfo blocks for quite a long time and roster window doesn't respond. It happens on connect after executing Gajim, and also when Gajim disconnects due to a network failiure and then tries to reconnect (and network is still down).

I was talking about that with Asterix and because we didn't find any AAAA-capable asynchronous python dns library, we came up with following:

Because SRV requests are done asynchronously via nslookup in pipe polled in IdleQueue (src/common/nslookup.py), it's possible to detect that DNS server is not available from result of asynchronous SRV request. And - if we know that DNS SRV request failed, then don't do the getaddrinfo call. But now I found out that there is a short blocking timeout when closing pipe with running nslookup - on self.pipe.close(), so this is not a solution for GUI blocking on connect.

I already tried putting getaddrinfo to separate thread, but it just didn't work for me - the thread was waiting even after a successful gai call... As for dns libraries - adns can't do AAAA requests, pydns and dnspython can't operate asynchronously.

What I'm looking for is either
 - some elegant way how to do both A and AAAA requests asynchronously
   (like nonblocking getaddrinfo) which would be a nice solution
or
 - nonblocking detect that network is down which would allow to avoid
needless call of getaddrinfo (temporary solution until some suitable library appears)

Do you have any ideas/suggestions on this?

rgds,
tomk

--
Tomas Karasek