I've had to manually reply to the "confirm" message from the list server to
be able to subscribe. Following the http link in the confirmation message
led me to a page where I clicked "confirmed" -- only to be asked for my
confirmation string / cookie, which "loops" no matter how many times I
enter the confirmation code.

It's no big deal, but if some *additional* configuration error also breaks
confirmation-by-replying, you will an unexplained drop-off in mailing list
activity (which you won't notice since the activity is quite low anyway)
and a bunch of frustrated users.