Yann;

first off, thanks loads for your help.

Am 01.09.2015 um 21:33 schrieb Yann Leboulanger:
>(1) In user-to-user chat, I have gajim configured to pop up a new
>window whenever a new message comes in, which is just how I want. With
>the team window minimized or hidden however, I regularly miss messages
>because I haven't found any way to make the group chat window come up
>whenever there's any activity in there. Is there a way to configure
>this behaviour?

Try to install the trigger plugin. You can configure several things
there about this kind of behaviour.

Great, that seems to be pretty much what I was looking for. Seems astoundingly powerful, I'll see how far I get with this. :)

>(2) In the group chat, important messages usually get lost among loads
>of "user <xy> has joined the group" and "user <yz> has left the
>group". Can the group chat be configured to suppress such messages?
>They aren't of much use but greatly distract from actual content...;)

There are 2 advanced options to control that:
show_status_in_muc / show_status_in_chats

Looking at my configuration, I just have print_status_in_muc/_chat around. I suppose these are the ones you mean? I'm on 0.16 off the Ubuntu 15.04 package repo. :)

Thanks again and all the best,
Kristian