Em 29-11-2017 12:57, Sam Whited escreveu:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017, at 07:25, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
But it's not clear how thing should be rendered. For example in Gajim we
have an option to keep the styling characters (*, _, /) or not when
rendering the text. Particulary for the Quotation part, we have to
replace the > by whitespaces?

Right now in the implementation notes it says:

It is RECOMMENDED that formatting characters be displayed and formatted in the same manner as the text they
apply to. For example, the string "*emphasis*" would be rendered as
"<strong>*emphasis*</strong>".

Personally I feel that this should be the choice of the service or
imlementation, but in the discussion so far most people seem to think
you should keep the formatting characters. I'll try to make this more
obvious.

I am not directly involved with the development of any big open source project, but I think that Gajim (at least) should always keep the formatting characters. Sometimes we must access things using limited services, and the formatting chars will guarantee that we understand some details, even where any and all formating is not possible.

And it is also a way to teach people, indirectly, to make formatting without needing to click things or using classic keyboard shortcuts (like ctrl+b for bold, ctrl+i ..., ...).